Tender, spiced vegan pumpkin pancakes that require just 1 bowl and 20 minutes to prepare. Healthy, simple and perfect for chilly fall mornings.
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 3/4-1 cup* unsweetened vanilla almond milk + 1 Tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed pumpkin puree
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), melted (or sub grape seed or coconut oil)
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or agave (or sub honey if not vegan)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (sub up to half with oat flour if desired)
- Preheat electric griddle to medium heat (or about 350 degrees F), or a large skillet on medium to medium-low heat on the stove stop. You want the surface to be hot but not screaming hot – oil shouldn’t burn when it hits the surface.
- Combine 3/4 cup milk and lemon juice in a large bowl and let rest for 5 minutes to curdle. Then add melted Earth Balance, maple syrup, pumpkin, maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Next add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices to a sifter and sift over the wet ingredients. If the batter appears too thin, add a bit more flour. If too thick, add a splash of almond milk. If too thin, add a bit more flour. Let batter rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Butter or spray your griddle with cooking spray and pour 1/4 cup measurements of the batter onto the griddle. There should be 6-7 pancakes. Flip when bubbles appear in the middle and the edges turn slightly dry. Cook for 1-3 minutes more on the other side, then plate.
- Top with Earth Balance and maple syrup and a dash more pumpkin pie spice, or whatever else you desire. Will reheat well the next day in the microwave.
*Start with 3/4 cup of almond milk. If the batter appears too thick after mixing, add the remaining amount in Tbsp increments. Thickness will depend on your pumpkin puree and whether you used maple syrup, honey or agave.
Serving size: 1 pancake Calories: 127 Fat: 2 g Saturated fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 24 gSugar: 7 g Sodium: 173 mg Fiber: 1 g Protein: 2.4 g Cholesterol: 0 mg